Ayurvedic Recipe: Red Lentil Kitchari
Now that the year has started, you may be wondering, which dish would be good for your health and also would make you feel at ease to focus on your tasks. Well, the answer may be broad, but surely a recipe that will make your mouth water and also contribute a lot to your immune system is the Red Lentil Kitchari. Just take a look to see how tasty and how full of nutrients it is.
Red Lentil Kitchari
As part of the traditional Ayurvedic cleanse, red lentil kitchari is flavorful and delicious while providing the body with complete protein. Check it out!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
- 2 Cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 Cup Red Lentils
- 1/2 Sweet Onion diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic minced
- A little Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/8 Tsp Cumin
- 1/8 Tsp Ground Coriander
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Cups Cooked Brown Rice to serve
- Cilantro for garnish
- Bring a pot to medium heat. Sauté the sweet onion in a little olive oil on medium-low heat until they are translucent. Then, add in the garlic and sauté for a few minutes more, checking often to ensure garlic doesn't brown.
- When done, add the lentils, vegetable stock, and spices to the pot. Stir well. Bring everything to a boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes. Do not stir, this mashes the lentils! When done, remove from heat.
- Once the lentils are cooked, give everything a gentle stir to make sure the spices are evenly distributed.
- Serve the kitchari over brown rice or any other grains you have on hand, like quinoa or millet. The kitchari can always be eaten on its own with bread!
- Enjoy, and eat with intention.